Heart Healthy Recipe: Apple Curried Pork Tenderloin
Don’t get us wrong here; we love chocolate and steak just like everyone else. But this year with Valentine’s Day on a weekday, heading out for an over-priced, over-filling meal at a restaurant that only has an 8pm reservation left, may not be your best move.
On a holiday that celebrates hearts, don’t forget about the most important heart: that beating, blood pumping, life-giving organ in your chest. Let us help design a perfect meal for you and your love with a heart healthy recipe that will love you right back.
Apple Curried Pork Tenderloin
- 5 ounces pork tenderloin, cut into 2 pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cups apple cider, divided
- 1/2 tart apple, peeled, seeded and chopped into chunks
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Season the pork tenderloin with curry powder and let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the tenderloin and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the meat from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the onions to skillet and sauté until soft and golden. Add 1/4 cup of the apple cider, reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid is gone.
- Add the chopped apple, cornstarch, and the remaining apple cider. Stir and simmer while the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Return the tenderloin to the skillet and simmer for the final 5 minutes.
Bonus: this heart healthy dish also incorporates the anti-inflammatory spice, curry, and cholesterol lowering fruit, apples!
An excellent way to say, “I love you” to the apple of your eye.