Bursitis is a condition in which the bursa, a fluid filled sac, becomes inflamed. The bursa functions as a gliding surface that reduces friction between moving tissue in the hip. Bursitis of the hip is the most common form of hip pain. There are three types of bursitis in the hip: trochanteric bursitis (most common), ischial bursitis and iliopsoas bursitis.
- Tenderness and pain of the outer hip (trochanteric)
- Dull pain in the upper buttocks area (ischial bursitis)
- Pain in the groin area (iliopsoas bursitis)
- Increased pain/discomfort while sleeping, especially on the affected side
- Increased pain when sitting or standing for prolonged periods
- Pain when moving from a seated to a standing position
Our physical therapists can help relieve the discomfort of bursitis by using massage, therapeutic modalities, manual therapy techniques and exercises to help strengthen your hip.