How to Stay Safe in the Summer Heat
We all love the summer sunshine and being able to get outdoors as much as possible, but the warmer weather can put extra stress on our bodies if we are not careful. The body cools itself off by sweating, but we can easily run into trouble once we become dehydrated. Below are some tips to keep in mind when exercising outdoors this summer!
• Decrease the exercise intensity and length of your workouts until your body adapts to the heat
• Drink water (16 ounces) 2 hours prior AND ideally, 6-8 ounces every 15 minutes. Don’t wait until you are thirsty to drink fluids!
• Wear a hat to keep the sun off your face
• Wear loose lighter colored clothing, darker colors can absorb the heat
• Try to exercise early or later in the day to avoid the peak sun hours of 10-3pm
• Take a cold shower before you head out
Above all, always use common sense and listen to your body. It’s okay to take a workout indoors or skip one if you aren’t feeling up to it.
Don’t forget to follow along with any RET social media this month for more relevant tips all month long!
RET Physical Therapy Group has been “Your neighborhood physical therapy clinic,” since it was founded in 1973. The company is made up of 24 locations in the Puget Sound area that are all locally owned and operated by a team of physical therapists focused on a single purpose: to provide consistent, quality patient care within neighborhoods and communities. For more information, visit www.retptgroup.com