Stretch it out!
With every activity you do in life, believe it or not, you can incorporate one or many stretches into it! Stretches are a must before and after a workout, but we also want you to stretch at work, in the car, or even while you’re doing household chores. Stretching your muscles and maintaining your joint range of motion is a sure way to feel younger and will motivate you to be more active.
Why stretch your muscles?
- Increase blood and nutrient supply to muscles
- Improve posture
- Decrease pain
- Alleviate muscle tightness
- Improves joint range of motion and overall flexibility
How long should I hold the stretch?
- A static stretch should be held for 10-30 seconds, to the point of tightness or slight discomfort. No bouncing during the stretching, as this can cause small tears in your muscle fibers.
- Repeat each stretch two to four times, accumulating 60 seconds per stretch. (Guidelines from the American College of Sports Medicine, ACSM).
Chat with one of our physical therapists to find dynamic and static stretches that will work for you!