Why Pregnancy Can Lead to Back Pain
Are you expecting? Whether you are a first-time mother-to-be or have already experienced the wonders of pregnancy, you will come to realize that every pregnancy journey is different. It is one of the most exciting times of your life, but can also take a toll on your body.
Most women will experience back and pelvic pain at some point during their pregnancy. Although every pregnancy is different, there are some common reasons for back and pelvic pain during the months of developing your bundle of joy.
Common reasons for back pain during pregnancy:
- Change of the body’s center of gravity
- Increase in hormones causing increased laxity in joints
- Additional weight gain
- Added stress- both physical and emotional
- Postural changes due physical changes
Women often experience other side effects while pregnant. Difficulty sleeping, back and shoulder pain or weakened muscles all due to the natural stretching process occurring as the baby grows larger and the body prepares for delivery. Physical therapy can help to make your pregnancy experience more comfortable.
Ways physical therapy can help:
- Muscle strengthening to assist during pregnancy and delivery
- Improve flexibility through stretching tightened muscles
- Education and use of belts or supports
- Improve joint alignment
- Improve posture
- Address nerve involvement and reduce symptoms
- Massage to help decrease muscle tightness and promote relaxation
Our Physical Therapists are here to ease pain and make you more comfortable during pregnancy. Call us or send us an email to get started; we’re here to make your pregnancy experience an enjoyable one.