Mercer Island Physical Therapy
Welcome to Mercer Island Physical Therapy, conveniently located in downtown Mercer Island in the Chase building, with free parking.
At Mercer Island Physical Therapy, our mission is to help you get better, faster. We employ and develop highly skilled and thoroughly trained physical therapy healthcare providers.
We provide one on one care to ensure we are addressing your needs. Our professional staff excels in determining the cause and origin of your condition, selecting and implementing the most effective and efficient treatments, and educating each patient how to assist in their own care. We specialize in treating upper extremity, lower extremity, back and neck pain, as well as working with individuals having balance and gait deficits. We also treat a wide variety of orthopedic conditions including sports injuries, joint replacements, work injuries, motor vehicle accidents, and chronic pain.
Same Day Appointments Available. Call to schedule today (206) 232-9045.
- Services -
Mercer Island provides expert care for a wide range of conditions, click the links below to learn more or call to schedule with a Physical Therapist.
Aquatic Therapy – Off SiteAthletic RehabilitationBack CareBalance Training/ Fall PreventionElbow and Wrist CareFoot and Ankle CareHeadachesHip CareKnee CareManual TherapyMotor Vehicle InjuriesNeck CareOrthopedic RehabilitationPost Surgery RehabilitationPosture and Body Mechanics TrainingShoulder CareSpinal RehabilitationSport Specific TrainingSports Specific Therapy and RehabilitationWork Therapy and Rehabilitation
- Staff -
Douglas Free, DPT
Physical Therapist and Clinic DirectorDouglas Free was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest and has spent most of his life here. He has been the director of Mercer Island Physical Therapy since 2001. He has worked diligently to provide the highest quality and most effective care possible, and in doing so has developed a strong reputation in the community and with referring doctors. He specializes in treating neck and back pain utilizing a variety of treatment approaches to best fit the needs of the individual patient. This includes, but is not limited to, the teachings of Robin McKenzie, also known as Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy. He enjoys family activities with his wife and two children including snow skiing, swimming, and walking the dog. He is also lacrosse coach for Sammamish Lacrosse Club.
- Bachelor's of Arts degree in Psychology with a minor in Zoology from Central Washington University, 1993.
- Doctor of Physical Therapy degree from the University of Southern California, 1999.
- American Physical Therapy Association.
Kim Cervenak, PTA
Physical Therapy Assistant
Kim received her Bachelor's of Science degree in Kinesiology from Washington State University. Following school she moved to Southern California and worked as an escrow officer for several years. Her passion for patient care lead her to return to the northwest and pursue her Physical Therapist Assistant degree from Green River Community College. While in school, Kim worked as a caregiver for a woman with brain cancer and another woman with MS. She has clinical experience in skilled nursing, assisted living, and inpatient physical therapy settings. She participated in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the cure Breast Cancer walk. In her free time, Kim enjoys working out, snowboarding, wakeboarding, traveling, and hanging out with friends and family.
- Bachelor's of Science degree in Kinesiology from Washington State University
- Physical Therapist Assistant degree from Green River Community College
Richard Barnes, DPT
Physical TherapistRichard Barnes has been practicing physical therapy in the Pacific Northwest for four years, prior to that he was an instructor at Loma Linda University in Southern California. He has experience in a variety of treatment settings ranging from acute post-op to out-patient orthopedics. He brings with him a wealth of knowledge and an assortment of treatment approaches and manual skills, and enjoys tailoring his patient care to meet the needs of each individual in his care. He specializes in neural tension deficits, as well as shoulder, neck, and lower quarter biomechanics. Away from the office he enjoys water sports, as well as the mountains, but will most commonly be found out with his wife walking their two dogs.
- Bachelors of Science from Loma Linda University in Heath Science 2007
- Masters of Physical Therapy from Loma Linda University 2007
- Doctor of Physical Therapy from Loma Linda University 2008
- American Physical Therapy Association
Sara Boehler, DPT
Physical Therapist Sara graduated from the University of Southern California in 2013 with her Doctorate degree in Physical Therapy. She has experience in a variety of settings including outpatient orthopedic, pediatric, and acute care. Sara worked for two years under a TMJ specialist and is excited to bring her skill of TMJ physical therapy treatment to MIPT. She also brings experience as an Academic All American Athlete in water polo to her skill set. Sara grew up on Mercer Island and just recently relocated back to the Seattle area and is thrilled to be a part of the MI community once again. In her free time Sara enjoys swimming, reading and spending time with family and friends.
- Bachelors of Arts in Kinesiology from Occidental College, 2009
- Doctorate of Physical Therapy from University of Southern California, 2013
- Testimonials -“Thank you so much for your extraordinary help with our son’s injury. You supported him and our family mentally and medically. You gave us all positive thoughts and hope beyond traditional approaches. You were amazing in turning our son’s outlook to a positive one, and capturing how he thinks! We very much appreciate your great efforts!”-Susanne and Bruce Foster“I arrived at Mercer Island Physical Therapy on January 28, 2015 with a brand new left hip, weak leg muscles and bursitis in the right knee area. I left March 25 after 15 visits. I was always welcomed by name. The office is friendly, supportive, and professional.
Kyle Shilling and Kim kept me challenged. Kyle is excellent at adding on to exercises and finding another that would be helpful. They were a good team for me as they worked on the same things, but a bit differently. It was never routine, but switched around during the sessions. The massages/stretches were very helful.
I've left now with many known exercises, but not their discipline. Kyle surprised me with a graduation certificate.
Thank you for helping me get my normal life back. I would highly recommend MIPT. You are appreciated.”-Wilma Tucker